Jonathan Curtis

Default Fitting a flue

I'm fitting a flue to a new Baxi Bermuda back boiler and have a few
questions.

1)The "flue outlet socket" at the top of boiler hood measures around
5.5". The instructions say that a 5" flue pipe is required.When I offer
up the flue adaptor to the flue outlet socket there is (obviously) a
0.25" gap all round. Is this standard? I've read that this gap is then
filled with fire cement but this gap just seems too much you would think
that they would manufacture the outlet socket smaller than 5.5"
diameter.

2) The holes on the boiler hood for securing the flue adaptor do not
coincide with the holes on the flue adaptor. Is it Ok to drill small
holes into the adaptor then screw the 3 self tapping screws?

3)When fitting the adaptor to the flue pipe and also the liner terminal
do you use fire cement to 'glue' them together or is it sufficient do
just push them together? If so do you smear the adaptor with fire cement
then push it together or push it together then just smear the edges?

4)The boiler instructions state that I should "wrap the gas and water
pipes through the brickwork and within the fireplace opening itself."
What do I wrap these pipes with?

5) Is it really worth insulating the chimney or is this yet another
gimick? If I don't insulate am I correct in saying that I do not need a
plate at the bottom of the chimney?- all instructions I've seen are with
the insulation.

Thanks in advance for any advice -I've done lots of searching but there
doesn't seem to be any good websites on this subject.

Jon