PoP

Default Power Cuts/Generators yet again

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:51:42 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

Since I've already got a near new battery for pennies, replacing it with a
leisure one wouldn't be cost effective. If I discover it's not reliable
enough for my purposes, then of course I'd consider the correct thing.

I think from what others have said car batteries don't last long if
deeply discharged frequently. I can't comment on that because I have
no knowledge of it.

But so what? The likelihood is that it will rarely if ever go into
deep discharge! Most power outages last only a short time (an hour or
two), which the car battery can easily hold out for.

If your car battery is being deeply discharged by the UPS arrangement
then my guess is that there's some sort of major disruption to the
power grid connecting to your property - and you'd be sorting that out
as the critical issue - not fannying around trying to find a battery
that is friendly towards being deeply discharged.

I have a Smart UPS on my PC equipment here - which from memory I think
holds up for 25 minutes. Now and again I hear it clicking in as the
lights go dim for a second or two. A couple of times over the last few
years it has had to come online seriously when we lost power to the
house for a considerable period of time - which was fine because it
gave me time to shut things down gracefully.

I think your decision is okay personally

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided
with my newsreader please be aware that the email
is processed with spamcop. As a result your email
to me might be treated as spam!