Prospectivehomebuyer

Default Crack in foundation and home buying decision

Bruce Nolte N3LSY wrote in message ...

Watch the wording, the report says any repairs made ARE cosmetic,
meaning that serious structural repair is necessary to stabilize it.
Now, while the house probably won't implode, a cracked foundation will
definitely cause other issues i.e. a way for water and insects to get
in. This will limit the usability of the basement. Also, a house will
sag over the settled part of the foundation. This will result in
problems such as doors/windows that won't close properly, cracked
drywall/plaster, etc. even if the floors seem solid and level. If the
house has settled as much as it is going to, then there should not be
too much evidence of new cracks in the plaster.

Bruce,

This is the reason why we walked. The letter from the engineer is
very cleverly worded. At first glance it seemed to me that he was
saying it is ok. But when I thought about it more, it occurred to me
he is giving himself wide allowance. If the house falls apart he can
always say, "see I told you that you can only do cosmetic repairs".
The other thing that gave me pause was that it seemed that a number of
doors had been recently replaced. I have heard that doors/windows
stick on homes with this kind of problem. I am sure there is a buyer
out there who can live with this type of uncertainty. Just not me.

-Prospectivehomebuyer.