Default Crack in foundation and home buying decision

On 17 Nov 2003 06:10:49 -0800, someone wrote:

If you do chose to proceed, I would at least get a reduction in price
equal to the highest estimate for a properly engineered fix....

And what on earth makes you think that the Sellers will agree to this,
when their engineer says it is not a problem?

You say you would "at least" get this? And what would you get "at
best"?

Big talk. I'd like to see you get this concession from them. Only
way to do it is if the "base" price is way over market, then the
"concession" brings it to where it shoulda been in the first place.
Like those car dealers who say "$3,000 guaranteed trade"; what do you
think they do to the "base" price before the trade allowance?
TANSTAAFL.

I don't think you or they will get anything of the sort, it will NOT
price acording to a formula, "asking price less the cost of ____ ".
It will sell at a price that reflects its age & condition as perceived
by the market, not that price less (double counting) its age and
condition! If the Sleer already thinks the price is fair for the
condition the house is in, he will not likely let the price down by
muc, only nuisance amount to throw a bone and save a deal, NOT LIKELY
the "highest estimate" for something he doesn't think is needed in the
first place.

Where do people think they are going to get the leverage to force such
big talk concessions?

-v.