Set Square

Default Power Cuts/Generators yet again

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:40:16 -0000, Nick Smith wrote:

The smaller one (900 watts) appears adequate *unless* SWMBO
decides she needs to use the microwave - in which case we shall
need the 1600 watt model.

I'd look at the plate on the back of your uWave. It maight be a
600W or 800W on thefront but that is the RF power inside the box.
Our 800W (category E) actually takes 1240W...

which is about what he said isn't it ?

i.e. he'd need a bigger model

Yes but probably not big enough. If 900W serves the demand without the
uWave you only have 700W "surplus" with the bigger genny. As uWaves
are only about 60% effcient from their RF rating even a 600W jobbie
will draw 1000W...

More of a heads up than anything else, but an easy mistake to make.
Not sure what sort of load a uWave presents either, I suspect very
inductive.

Perhaps I should have made it clear that I wouldn't run the microwave at the
*same time* as everything else. I would at least turn the freezers off for
the relatively short time needed to operate the microwave.
--
Cheers,
Set Square