Edwin Pawlowski

Default Replace patio sliding doors

"Walleye" wrote in message

I was think of trying to tackle this project myself.

The whole unit in the frame is 72" wide and 80 " in height. Is this one

of
the standard sizes that I might find at a Home Depot?

Don't you want a good door? I bought a Pella from a Pella dealer down the
street from Home Depot. They are much better quality than the mass market
models sold at the big box stores. More options of designs, etc.

I'd prefer not to
have to fool around with framing the opening - if I did I'd probably just
leave it for a contractor.

How hard of a project might this be - I am fairly good with most tools.
Suggestions?

You need two people. In most cases, it is just taking one out, putting in
the other. Some casing has to be removed from the old door and can probably
be re-used with the new. You will have to shim the door to get it plumb and
square. You want to be ready if there is any rot in the framing so you can
replace it while the door is out.

It can be done. Figure the better part of a day wit two people. Probably a
few hours if you have a friend that has done this before.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome