Eric Lee Green

Default Ventilation Problem in Bathroom

In article , Paula ruminated:
I have a very small ensuite bathroom (approx. 5 ft x 7 ft) and I
renovated it by replacing a tiled 5'x 2.5' shower with a 36" corner
shower. There is a small problem with this renovation that we did not
think of: poor ventilation causing severe condensation on the walls
and wrecking the paint.

Then you have poor paint. You need to re-paint with a waterproof paint. That
way it can condense all it wants. Alternative, tile the walls -- ceramic
tile laughs at condensation.

Alternatively, there is water getting behind the wall through your renovations
(perhaps your drain is leaking where you joined your shower drain to the
floor drain, and the water is pooling under the shower pan?), and the
water vapor behind the paint is causing it to bubble.

ventilate the same way. We installed a brand new, fairly strong fan
(which is rated to work for a bathroom 4 times the size of this one)
and checked that it is ventilating properly through the tube in the
attic and to the outside of the house. It is.

Also make sure you have a supply of fresh air, as mentioned elsewhere.

What is this lowered area of the ceiling in the bathroom over the
tub/shower typically for? Can you tear this out? Would removing this
solve my problem?

Probably not. Everything in the tub/shower area needs to be waterproof.

This condensation problem is especially prevalent in the winter, when
the bathroom is cold

Install a heater in the bathroom, and heat it before taking a shower.
It helps.

--
Eric Lee Green
http://www.badtux.org