geoff

Default New Series : Great British Woodshop

In message , Lobster
writes
chris French wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:04:18 +0000, chris French
wrote:
But does he cut 'rabbits'?

I discovered that 'rabbet' was the original English word, and 'rebate'
is a derivation, so paradoxically, for once the New World has
something right.

Ahh, I didn't know about that one. I've heard that 'fall' (as in Autumn)
was a common English word at the time, we lost it and they kept it.

I wonder what other s there are.

Somewhere I read that Brits in the 17th century were supposed to have
had accents much more similar to 20th century American than British.
Have no idea what the truth is in that or what the evidence was (a
hitherto-undiscovered cache of 78s from the Mayflower mebbe?)

Yeah, as they'd have used all their CDs as bird scarers
--
geoff