Default tiny white powdery rocks coming out of hot water taps...

"Dan O." wrote in message

I don't think it's salt that is causing the residue, although it may be.
It might be more chlorides than sodium though and coming out of solution
only in the water heater and hot side plumbing.

I don't know whom originally posted this or what the complaint was but if
the problem is only in the hot water lines, chances are good that the
problem is caused by a deteriorating 'drip tube' in the hot water heater.
Several manufacturers have had service programs because of this and it would
even cover cleaning all the hot water fittings which would be affected by
such a failure.

the plumber swears it is not the drip tube, which seems supported by
the fact that i have a LONG supply of hot water.

the way i understood it, once the drip tube deteriorates, you have a
very short supply of hot water due to the top of the tank being cycled
and not the ENTIRE tank.

plus, the little rocks would look more like plastic chips.

i'm on the second day of a brand new water softener and things appear
to be slowing down - little to no salt left in the hot water line.