Art Begun

Default HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction

Have an engineer look at it. Was the first floor joists installed
before backfilling? If not the pressure could have cracked it.

"Zhixin Tang" wrote in message
om...
(Zhixin Tang) wrote in message

. com...
Hi, I found out there is a vertical crack on the foundation wall
(poured concrete) all the way from ceiling to floor. It is on the

40'
foundation wall, in the middle of garage, close to steel pieces in

the
concrete, about 1/8" wide. The foundation is only 2 months old and

the
house is close to completion.

I think one wall is settling down more to cause the crack. I am

afraid
that the crack will become bigger when settling continues. Is not

rare
for a 2-month foundation has such a long and wide crack? I am
currently requesting the builder to hire a structural engineer to
assess the problem.

Since the house has been closed, I may have to option to walk away

if
it is a serious foundation problem.

Folks, I would appreciate your advice on this problem. Also if I

do
accept the home, I have to disclose the problem when I sell the

house
in the future?

Thanks.

Tom

A correction: The house has not closed yet.
I've waited for this house for several months. However, if it is a
serious foundation problem, is not better I just get my down money
back and walk away?

Tom