Space Cowboy

Default Specifying new windows

"River Tramp" wrote in message ...
I'm about to print up drawings for my two & single storey extension to send out to builders for quotes. For the windows, anybody got any advice about what to say about the quality, and particularly the security aspects of uPVC windows and doors(I'm not thinking of B Regs such as ventilation/escape/safety glazing which I've already covered)? Is there a security standard, perhaps an insurance requirement?

Regards

IanC

A Few thoughts in no order -

1. Hard fixings to BWK rather than crazy foam.

2. Internal beading.

3. Multi point locking.

4. Consider tilt / turn for upstairs for easy cleaning.

5. Consider size of air gap in DG unit. More is good.

6. Consider gas filled units rather than air.

7. Look at different types of glass. I think Pilkington K is still the best around for energy effency. see here http://tinyurl.com/3435p

8. Individual locks rather than a mass produced system where your neighbour can end up with the same key as you.

9. Do you really want UVPC windows. If something breaks timber is far easier to repair.

10 If you do want UVPC look for a profile which will match others, or is easily available and not some end of the line crap.

11. Don't buy brown plastic windows they look like **** :-)

---