FC

Default adding on to our house - which windows?

Michele wrote:
so i guess my questions a
are aluminum windows a bad option for Minnesota?
are non-name brand windows inferior to the pella, marvin, andersens of
the world? the scherer brothers windows look like they've been around
for a while.
what are the questions we should ask regarding these windows? there
aren't that many windows in the contract (8 or 9), so i guess i would
like to spend the extra $$ if it will truly make a difference.

any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks for getting this far.
michele

Two thing came to my mind:
1. what's the purpose of the new addition if it is not to be used for
winter season (e.g. 3 season porch) then it does not matter if the
window isn't energy efficient.
2. If the room is to be used year round then I'd ask the contractor
what's the R value of the window (i.e. how energy efficient it is?)
If the construction of the window is aluminum through out (i.e. minimum
insulation) then I will not chose aluminum windows for my house in
Minnesota since it'll be equivalent to open a hole on the wall during
winter.

FC