The Ghost In The Machine

Default more fun with air conditioning

In sci.physics, Robert Morein

wrote
on Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:32:50 -0700
:
In article ,
~^Johnny^~ wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:38:04 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Just watch your meter spin and spray
down the AC.

Spin?

Unless you live in the sticks, KWh meters are rapidly going digital. ;-)

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
"The first step in intelligent tinkering is to
save all the parts." - Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~

Rapidly doesn't mean completely

I would be surprised if meters are replaced just because the
readers want digital. Most likely the meters are replaced
when the building is rewired, and that's fairly rare. New
buildings, of course, will get the new meters.

I see the same problem here as with highway signs: how many
metric highway signs have you seen lately? :-) Probably
not many. I'm not sure if new highway signs are even required
to be metric -- certainly the roadwork projects here aren't
using km yet.

In any event, kWh already *is* generally metric, although
one might make a (weak) case that they should be reading
either joules, kilojoules, or megajoules. (1 kWh = 3.6 MJ.
The nearest Imperial unit might be a BTU.)

#191,

It's still legal to go .sigless.