Default turn-off: Texas heat pump sellers slow to give "happy-user" refs

"Mike Heatley" wrote in message ws.com...
I know the heat pump vs. standard a/c replacment debate has been fairly
worked over in this newsgroup, but the proof in the pudding should always be
happy users. In Dallas, Texas where I live I am having trouble finding
them. You would think any dealer selling an upgrade from standard to a heat
pump (my pertinent specs below) would be walking in the door with ten
customers to call who had been on heat pumps at least one season. No so
with the five estimates I got (3 Trane, 1 Lennox, 1 American Standard
dealer). None offered references, only one of those eventually coughing up
three in the "eleventh hour." Worse, in checking *his* references, only one
was a heat pump user, but uselesHTTP/1.0 200 OK

snip

I had a house in Central Texas with a heat pump. This was in the
mid-80s. The heat pump worked fine as long as the temperature didn't
get too hot or too cold. There were days in the summer when we
resorted to the whole house fan to keep us cool and days in the winter
when we relied on the fireplace.