Bystander

Default Musty towel smell after bath/shower use? Affected by AC,HVAC, humidity, washing?, pcumming

(Peter Cumming) wrote:

-Problem: Bath Towels end up musty and smell after 1-2 times use when
I take a shower and dry off.

Peter,

Lots of good advice here. However, I had a similar problem, and here's
how I resolved it.

Towels, by their nature, hold onto the detergent you use to wash them. I
am convinved that a normal machine wash/rinse cycle does not remove all
the detergent (and suspended soil) held by the towel, and wetting the
towel when you use it activates all the stuff that remains in your towel
from and incomplete rinse.

What I now do, and yes it's a pain, is I wash a load of towels as normal
and then run them through at least two additional plain water rinses, or
better yet, and additional short wash cycle with no detergent. Sometimes
I add 1/2 Cup vinegar to the rinse water. I have found that the problem
you describe has been completely eliminated in our household.

Good luck!

Lee