Harry Bloomfield

Default Sealant around bath not setting!

On 10/01/2004 Stuart opined:-
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:53:14 +0000, BraileTrail
wrote:

Hi,

Having just moved in to a new house I was pleased to find :-) the
sealant round the bath leaking and that it had ruined the ceiling of the
downstairs toilet as well!

I removed the quarter round bit of plastic and what seemed like several
tubes of old sealant from around the bath and cleaned up the tiles and
bath edge pretty well (IMHO). I used a tube of white B&Q Waterproof
Shower, Bath and Kitchen Sealant. I could see that I was going to need
to apply more than I would like due to the size of the gap between the
bath and the walls, so I applied it in two layers allowing a few hours
for the first layer to set a bit before applying the second.

Now the part behind the taps has set perfectly, but the strip along the
side of the bath refuses to set! It is now 48 hours later and it is
still soft. Is this due to the amount of sealant I used (am I just being
impatient?) or could there be another problem? Both the end with the
taps and the side of the bath are on outside walls and the tiles have
been taken just below the level of the bath and the bath put in with a
larger gap between the side than the end with the taps.

Thanks,
BraileTrail

I had this problem due to a large uneven gap between bath and wall .
Fillling it with sealant was unsuccessful and untidy . What i did was use
a hard plastic trim I found in Homebase . It is about and inch and a half
wide and curved in shape. I think its actually meant for putting at the
top of a row of ceramic tiles . I cut it to length and mitred the corner (
compund mitred because it sits at an angle) and fixed it to the wall and
bath with silicon then sealed the top and bottom with white silicone using
masking tape to make it neat -worked very well and look s much better .
Stuart

I recently redid our bathroom. I used some of that plastic seal on a
3+m roll and found it to be very effective. It is in a roll, sticky
backed and you remove some plastic from the sticky side before
applying. It is hinged down the centre and quite flexible. One side
sticks to the bath, the other to the tiles and you just cut it with
scissors. It is available in two widths to accomodate wider gaps.

It provides a much neater finish than silicon sealant and mold does not
grow on the finished result. It is between £5 and £8 a roll, depending
upon where you buy it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org