CheapStingyBastard

Default Removing Mold - Need Help!

My father lives in a condo which he flooded accidentally a 2 years
ago. It's a small 2 bedroom condo (1100 sqft), and about 2 rooms were
flooded. Unfortunately we did not do anything about it, except letting
it dry naturally. Since then there has been a strong mildew/mold
smell. I was going to just replace the carpets for my dad, but I was
told that their could be mold underneath the carpet.

I ordered a mold test, which is basically a petrie dish that you tape
to a air conditioning vent for 10 minutes with the fan on high, then
put in a cool dark place to let it incubate. After letting it incubate
for a week, it seems to be growing spores. The instructions say if you
see growth, you have mold. I have the option of sending the test to
their lab, to get more information on the type of mold.

Since the test, I have become really concerned about my father's
health in the apartment (though he doesn't seem to have any allergic
symptoms), and would like to clean-up the mold. However, after calling
a few "mold remediation" contractors, I could not get a straight
answer on the cost. One guy said there is a $250 removal estimate
cost, and $70 per test, and only then could he give me an estimate.
Another guy said it could cost anywhere from $2000 - $4000. I feel
like I'm setting myself up to get ripped off. (BTW, I've already
checked the homeowners policy, and it's not covered)

I believe most of the mold/mildew is in the carpet and padding.
Moreover, I've read on the net that it is possible to remove this
yourself with some diluted bleach? I was considering removing the
carpet and padding myself, and bleaching the floors. Then throwing
away most of the stuff effected by the mold. Then replacing the
carpet.