~KJPRO~

Default repair or replace goodman hvac system??

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Carol Scheible" wrote in message
.com...
Hi,

My downstairs AC is not cooling my 6 year old house (tho, the fan does
work). I had two companies come out an look at the unit. There is

oil
all over the concrete pad.

The first guy said that the coil was leaking and needed replacing. He

also
said that since I let it run wtihout oil, the compressor was also

probably
shot. He gave an estimate of $1200 for the coil and $1400 for the
compressor.

You should be able to replace the outdoor unit only, price depends on

lablor
in your area, but we would install a new condensing unit for less than
$1800. If you repair the old unit, the warranty will most likely be 90

days,
if you replace it you should get a full manufacturers warranty, sometimes

up
to ten years, depending on the manufacturer.
The coil is possibly under warranty, if you find a dealer that will screw
with it. You may still need to pay labor for the repair. I really would

not
worry about the compressor, it can be tested to get a guess on condition.
Add a bit of oil with the new coil, and it should be ok.
If you unable to get warranty repair, repalace the whole unit.
Greg
Greg

Greg,

After reading the tech's ticket descriptions and knowing Goodman
products.....

I'd have to say that the first company is a con-artist. And the second
company diagnosed the unit properly. As to the pins being blown out, with
oil all over the place. (as this is common with Goodman's)

I personally wouldn't bother fixing the unit, install a new condenser at a
minimum. If you have the funds, go with a complete new system, line set and
all. As the refrigerate/oil residue in the old line set could contaminate
the new system.

Good Luck,
~kjpro~