Chuck Yerkes

Default Intermittent Water Heater Leaks

Tony Hwang wrote:
Claudia wrote:

have 14 yr old gas WH. at different times throughout the day/week,
there is
water on the platform below the heater and on the floor. NOT all the
time.
So the home warranty company says "Too Bad, you'll have to wait till it
fails." the tech thinks I am crazy since "he" (age 22 +/-) has NEVER
seen a
WH do that. Am I crazy? What else should I be looking for? anyway to
predict WH failure - other than Murphy's law?

Hi,
Take the warning sign and replace it before it becomes bigger problem.

This has my vote. A water heater that's lasted 12 years has lasted
longer than expected. You have the equiv of a 20 year old cat.
But without the happy feelings for it.

Get a new tankless water heaters (about 1/4 more efficient) - less
space, lasts longer than most heaters. Hardly a new technology, just
a little new-ish to americans.

Trust me, it SUCKS to have to replace a water heater RIGHT NOW.
A friend went through this when his "gave out" the day before
a trip, with renters. In the winter.

You have the joy of a couple weeks notice.