Carol Scheible

Default repair or replace goodman hvac system??

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

6 years old and crapping that is about right for an reciprocal compressor
any manufacture.

It seems like an hvac system should last 15-20 years.

Your old Goodman is probably a 10 seer. That is the minimum allowed by the
feds today.

It's a PGB024075-1 (a dual furnace and AC system), which I looked up on the
internet as a 10 SEER.

first how long do you plan to stay in the new home?
http://198.147.238.24/ac_calc/default.asp

For at least 8 years. That site said I would save $76 per year on energy
costs. Certainly not worth paying $5000 for a new system, IMO. What would
be worth paying for the new system is knowing that the old system would
totally crap out next year despite getting a new compressor. (need a
crystal ball!)

If there is oil on the pad the compressor is shot. Now comes the hard

part
was the freon burnt or damaged in any way? Hard to know unless you pull

out
the charge and test it. Unless you can smell it. If it was burned or
damaged then you need an new indoor coil. Cheaper to buy an new one than

try to clean the old one. Ask before you pay for something that is not
needed. If the charge was lost then the indoor coil might be ok.

Here's what the guys wrote on the tickets:

Repair Guy #1:
Diagnosis: found condensor coil clogged up + coil is leaking. need to
replace condensor coil. unit also operating w/ no freon in system...damage
to compressor is likely.
Recommendation: $1250 for cond coil replacement. Plus possibly $1400 for
compressor.

Repair Guy #2:
Diagnosis: found compressor w/blown out terminal, oil charge blown on lower
1/6th of condensor coil, acid smell.
Recommendation: Replace unit 1st option. 2nd option: Replace compressor,
install suc. line prien(?) chem clean coil. Note other problems may exist.

I got an estimate for a new Trane unit, which would run me about $5000.

What seer were they quoting? I got a quote for $5400.00 for a Trane 14

seer

I can choose $4596 for 12 SEER unit and $5396 for a 14 SEER unit.

The installer is more important than the brand name. Get at least 3 bids
for a new unit and or fixing the old one.

Trouble is, the two companies that came out each charged me $85 for the
service call. I don't want to pay for another dang estimate for fixing it!

Thanks for your advice!

Carol