John Eaton

Default Solution to sewer tree root problem?

LB in StL wrote:

: usually if your sewer line passes through someone else's property you
: would have an easement for access to the line, of course you'd have to
: restore the property after the work but you might not need permission.

: The person who told us that we would need permission from the people across
: the street before we could do anything on their property was the Chief
: Engineer for the city in which we live.

He could be right but I would want to find out more.

He may know that you don't NEED permission but is trying to avoid
having your angry neighbor showing up at his office asking why you
are digging up his yard.

Maybe his office or the original developers "forgot" to get all the
easements in place and he is now hoping that noone will notice?

It does sound strange.

My thoughts:

Can you put in a automatic drip irrigation system on the trees so they
won't be as desperate to find water?

Can you put in a smaller pipe inside your existing pipe and bypass the
problem area?

John Eaton