HA HA Budys Here

Default Heat pumps + cold climates

From: (Conase)

I was looking at some of the houses for sale in eastern Pennsylvania.

Since there is massive building going on in SEMI-RURAL areas for all the NJ
and
NY people currently moving there, I notice that some of the houses both new
and
old have HEAT PUMPS for their source of heat.

I have always heard that heat pumps are NOT that effective in COLD climates.
The weather in this area can get to the 20º and below mark for long
stretches.
In a BAD year, the temps can linger at 10º for long periods of time.

Comments ?
TIA

Builders install whatever system is cheapest for them to provide. They do not
care one ioda what the running costs are, since they won't be paying them.

I know 2 families who bought into new homes in the Deleware Water Gap area, and
both incurred astronomical electric bills.

In the Northeast, your most cost efficient form of home heating is still an oil
burner.