Jeff Cochran

Default Solution to sewer tree root problem?

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:38:20 GMT, "jeff"
wrote:

Does the tree have to stay or can it be removed?

Roughly 8 feet from the sewer line, there is a row of 5 hemlock trees that,
according to my measurements, are right on the property line between my
property and my neighbor's property. In addition to this, there is a large
maple tree a few feet behind one of the hemlock trees, which is completely
on my neighbor's property.

I assume I would need my neighbor's permission to remove the hemlock trees,
since they are exactly on the property line, and those trees were there when
I moved into the house so I don't know who originally planted them. I'd
also hate to remove the hemlock trees and then later find out the maple tree
is the cause, since the hemlock trees provide some degree of privacy.

Root pruning is an option though. It's basically trenching a couple
feet from the hemlocks on your side, cutting all the roots. It isn't
permanent but can buy you several years if these are the roots
infiltrating the line.

Hemlocks don't normally have far ranging roots, but if the canopy of
the maple shades your yard above the line, it's very possible it's the
culprit.

Jeff