Travis Jordan

Default Heat pumps + cold climates

Conase wrote:
I was looking at some of the houses for sale in eastern Pennsylvania.

Since there is massive building going on in SEMI-RURAL areas for all
the NJ and NY people currently moving there, I notice that some of
the houses both new and old have HEAT PUMPS for their source of heat.

I have always heard that heat pumps are NOT that effective in COLD
climates. The weather in this area can get to the 20º and below mark
for long stretches. In a BAD year, the temps can linger at 10º for
long periods of time.

Comments ?
TIA

Do any of these homes also have conventional furnaces (i.e. heat pump +
gas)? In your climate I would think that would be a good alternative to
a straight heat pump.