Christopher Green

Default Cost to install gas hot water heater

"Walleye" wrote in message v.net...
Why does it seem so expensive to install a gas hot water heater?
I priced them at Home Depot (GE models) and they want $255 for installation
no matter what the size of water heater. Some of the models cost less than
the installation charge!
I'm just wondering what is involved with the typical installation - at least
for Home Depot.

I still want to price some at Sears but I assume the installation would be
comparable.
Too bad I can't install these myself....

Walter

$255 for installation is a huge ripoff. Typical Home Despot:
subcontract it to the low bidder, charge a premium rate, and pocket
the difference. If you can't do it yourself, but you know a good
plumber, ask him.

If you can handle a water heater (they are cumbersome, but not heavy,
easy two-man job), it isn't difficult. It helps if you know how to use
a brazing torch, in case you have to redo the water fittings or the
overflow pipe, and how to hook up a gas line -- or have a friend who
knows these things.

Some places may require a building permit, and many places require an
earthquake strap.

--
Chris Green