Patch

Default Septic tanks, garbage disposals, dishwashers.

"rile" wrote in message
om...
My son recently purchased the house my wife in which my wife grew up.
The house uses a septic system and a leech bed system. If I recall
correctly, the septic tank is used by one bathroom and the kitchen
sink. The washing machine is connected to a leech bed system
different from the septic system.
My wife is trying to convinces me that it would be safe for my son to
connect a garbage disposal to the kitchen sink as well as to install a
dish washer. I have heard that there are now "septic system safe"
garbage disposals but am rather skeptic. As to a dishwasher, I have
no idea on how that would affect the system except to maybe overtax
it.
The septic tank was recently emptied when a pipe leading into it from
the house was broken. My son plans to have it emptied every 4-5
years.
Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Our house is 13 years old with a septic system. We have both a dishwasher &
disposal and have never had a problem. When the house was built, the "perk
test" was excellent. We've never had the system pumped out. There's just the
Wife & I, so we're not overloading the thing. I once called & asked if we
should have them come out & pump the tank. They asked us a few questions
about how we use the system & said we didn't need a pump out.