Default advice needed: buying a house from owner (without an agent)

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:39:05 -0500, someone wrote:

First time home buyers often really need the advice of a GOOD agent.

How about a good attorney instead? Why pay a sales commission for
only partial advice (a real estate agent is not allowed to give legal
advice, which OP surely will need). The legal fee will likely be far
far less than the commission on a $300k purchase, and in most states a
lawyer is used anyway, in addition to the agent. If you don't need an
agent to find homes for you or sell for you, that's the one to skip.

(BTW, I *do* use agents myself, I currently have 4 parcels listed for
sale with agents, I feel they work for me and I don't have them time
to make the sales efforts myself.)

-v.