Bill Seurer

Default advice needed: buying a house from owner (without an agent)

Kate wrote:

I am thinking about buying a townhouse directly from the owner without
an agent. But I am not sure how much is the lawyer fee and is this a
smart choice. I am a first time home buyer, so don't know much about
the process. For example, the closing fee, the owner said 50/50,
what's the reasonable amount. the owner said it costs me about at
least 10,000 less without an agent. the townhouse is 2 years old and
the price is 305,000. please give any advice and I will appreciate.

The seller is feeding you a bunch of bull****. The seller pays for any
costs of agents, not you. And what is this "closing" fee he is so
graciously willing to share with you?

First time home buyers often really need the advice of a GOOD agent.
Ask around the pople you work with and see if any of them recommend an
agent.