Marc VanHeyningen

Default finding buyer's agent after first look at a house

Thus said Dan :
If you have the listing agent show you a home and do not tell them
beforehand that you have an agent, they then become the procuring cause of
sale should you buy the house.

Thanks! That was what I needed to know. I don't want to jerk anyone
around, and I don't want to inadvertantly violate a rule of the system.

Yup; if you see sign in front of a house that interests you, make sure
you call anybody, any agent at all, other than the agent whose name is
on that sign.

Selecting an agent to work with is not rocket science. Get some referrals,
visit a few offices, make some calls. Pick one and move on or just go ahead
and work with listing agents. Whatever you do, stop playing games. If you
don't have time to find an agent you don't have time to look at houses.

Well my previous buyer's agent just didn't work out - after that I am
not anxious to make a quick decision for my next one. I want to at
least spend some time talking face to face with candidates. But, I
can't take time off from work right now to do that.

Unfortunately, you kind of need to choose people before you choose
property. It's not uncommon for a prospective buyer agent to offer "one
free show" of some properties without obligation as part of the
interview process.