Edwin Pawlowski

Default Does cooling require more BTU/hr than heating to maintain same temp difference?

"AC/DCdude17" wrote in message

How come my A/C struggles to maintain 25°F difference running
continuously whereas my heater can maintain 40°F+ difference without
running continuously even though they both have the same BTU performance?

Both results were with the central HVAC turned off.

You have only once source of heat removal (cooling) with the AC, but you
have many heat sources helping the space heater.

The AC is pulling down the air temperature and heat is still getting into
the room from various sources. The walls not only tot he outside, but to
the rest of the house are transmitting heat into the room. The crack under
the door. Lights, TV, even your body. IIRC, an average adult gives off 400
Btu per hour just sitting in a chair.

The heater is getting help from all of these sources. Daylight hours it is
getting solar heat. While the outside temperature is 30 degrees, what about
the rest of the house? Are all the walls at 30 or are they closer to maybe
60 giving a lesser differential and thus lesser heat loss?

While 5,000 Btu is still 5,000 Btu, the heating and cooling loads are not
necessarily equal in the particular room.
Ed