J Jensen

Default more fun with air conditioning

(Harry Conover) wrote in message . com...
[snip]

3. The a/c uses less current at night ( you measure it with an ammeter as
it is running ).

I personally have not found this to be the case, either in upstate New
York or here in New England. The current drawn by the compressor in an
air conditioner barely reflect changes in temperature conditions.

Yeah, as I said in another reply, I think the electric motor would
always
take the same current when running, but just run for a shorter period
of
time at night.

4. The a/c uses less current if you spray the outside unit with the garden
hose and then measure it with the ammeter.

I'd assume that you are joking here.

No joke. The same person said this as #3 about the current at night
and
#2 about cooling the slab.

5. Shading the outside unit (compressor and condenser) does not reduce
electricity costs [Assume shade does not block air flow].

Shading the condensor unit will improve air conditining performance,
but will have only small impact on electricity costs.

It runs multiple times per hour here (especially the afternoon) and
the metal gets very hot in the sun. I tend to think that the savings
in shading it must be significant over the length of the summer.

--Jeff

[snip]