J Jensen

Default more fun with air conditioning

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message ...
J Jensen wrote:
1. Keeping the a/c cooling the house all day uses less electricity
than turning it off and then back on in the evening or when you
return from a vacation.

False.
http://www.ontario-sea.org/34kyoto/ac.html

Thanks for your reply. I especially appreciate the references.

[snip]
3. The a/c uses less current at night ( you measure it with an
ammeter as it is running ).

Depends. Compressor current consumption can vary with the load.

I have always had the opinion that #3 can't be true because it is an
electric motor and it should take the same amount of current whenever it
runs. It should run for a shorter period of time each time it comes on
at night, due to the greater efficiency of having cooler outside air...
right?

[snip]
--Jeff