Timm Simpkins

Default Efficient use of Air conditioner

wrote in message

Joseph Meehan wrote

...the very high cost of removing the moisture that comes in from

outside.

That's a low cost, unless water vapor condenses inside the house.

We were talking about a) ventilating a house at night vs b) keeping an AC
running. I'm thinking a) is better, as long as we don't have condensation
inside the house.

Take a given volume of air at 90 F and 40%.

Why 90 F and 40%?

How much energy does it take to cool the air to say 72 F?

Depends on the volume :-)

How much energy does it take to cool and condense enough water to get

down
to 40% at 72 F?

Why 40%? Standard ASHRAE humans are comfy at 56% and 80.2 F.

...Without running through the math, I would think getting the water

vapor
out is the energy expensive part.

Try math! If your 32x32x8' house has 6K Btu/F of fast capacitance and 400
Btu/h-F of thermal conductance, including 200 cfm of air leaks, and it's
78% and 71 F in the morning, and the outdoor temp hits 92 in the

afternoon,
with the morning humidity ratio, which is better, a) or b)?

If you walk out on your back porch and don't have enough pancakes to build a
fence True or False?

False because bicycles don't have hotdogs with flat sidewalks.