RB

Default 3 way switch disaster (long but interesting)

You are correct. Cable 4 white is attached to cable 2 and cable 3 black.
Cable 1 black does feed the switch terminal that is different colored than
the other two.

"toller" wrote in message
You have at least one error. You say that the cable1 black goes to the
switch, but that the cable4 white is attached to the Cable1 black.
the cable1 black can't go to both the switch and the cable4 white.

"RB" wrote in message
You'll probably have to draw this out so I'll explain it to the best of

my
ability:

I have an outside light and an inside light connected to a set of 3-way
switches. When switched, both the indoor and outdoor lights go on/off
together.

The 3 way switch in the basement has 1 cable with black, white, and red
connected to the switch. The 3 way switch upstairs (the one in

question)
has 4 cables coming into the box and is connected as follows.

Cable 1 (assumed power feed)

- Black connected to different colored terminal on switch

- White twisted together with 2 whites (from cable 2 and cable

3).

Cable 2 (assumed cable from indoor and outdoor lights)

- Black twisted together with black from cable 3 and white from
cable 4.

- White twisted together with 2 whites (from cable 1 and cable

3).

Cable 3 (assumed kitchen light)

- Black twisted together with black from cable 2 and white from
cable 4.

- White twisted together with 2 whites (from cable 1 and cable

2)

Cable 4 (from downstairs 3-way switch)

- Black to terminal on 3-way switch

- Red to terminal on 3-way switch

- White twisted together with 2 blacks (from cable 1 and 2)

My goal is to use a combination 1 single pole and 1 3-way switch to have

the
inside light be connected to the 3 way switches and the outside light to

be
switched normally from the location in question. The Leviton switch I
bought (CAT 5241) works such that the top switch is a 3-way and the

bottom
is a single pole standard switch.

When I wired up the new switches, I didn't realize that the kitchen

light
was involved. I assumed the 4 cables were incoming power, link to 3-way
switch in basement, outside light, inside light. It appears that I was
wrong because now I have a mess (top switch controls inside and outside
lights in conjunction with 3 way switch downstairs, bottom switch

controls
kitchen light based on the state of the top switch). Although the set

of
3-way switches (switch in basement and top switch upstairs) is behaving
correctly, the inside and outside lights still go on/off together. My

new
assumption is the outside light is wired to the inside light and comes

down
from the inside light to the 3 way switch as cable 2. I'm guessing that
cable 3 is from the kitchen light.

Do my assumptions make sense? Without running more cable, is there
accomplish what I want?

Thanks everyone for reading such a long post.