easysky

Default Well Water Testing

I am about to update or replace a well water system for friends who
live in CT. Have read many of the threads in this forum regarding the
normal issues. However, I still have questions before proceeding to
order the equipment needed. The present system has a backwash filter
and water softener, both with timers. I have the general specs on this
equipment. Also the Company that installed (about 1988) and serviced
this equipment has made recommendations regarding replacement
equipment.

The present complaints are scum in pans after boiling water, low water
pressure, and lifeless hair. Hopefully during the test and design
process the cause of the scum can be eliminated. Improved water
pressure may come from cleaning up the piping (which has lots of
elbows and small pipes). May also have to change the pressure tank and
pump. However, pump replacement will be the last consideration. An
improved water softener with regeneration determined by water usage
should take care of the lifeless hair.

The Service technician tested the water with the following results:

GPG: 22 raw, 0 treated.
PPM: 0 raw, 0 treated.
PH: 7.6 raw, 7.6 treated.

My questions a

What tests should be done to ensure that the correct equipment is
purchased?

Are the testing services offered over the Internet adequate?

What do I have to look out for in selecting one?

Would finding a local testing lab be better?