John Barry

Default Efficient use of Air conditioner

wrote in message ...
Joseph Meehan wrote

...the very high cost of removing the moisture that comes in from outside.

That's a low cost, unless water vapor condenses inside the house.

Nick

Maybe not. What Joe's pointing to, I'll bet, is the latent heat of
condensation that must be dealt with in the a/c evaporator, on
condensing the moisture there. For a given mass of water, that's
about half the latent heat of boiling the water.

Almost certainly a significant energy expense, never mind that high
humidity indoors is "yucky" (TM) until the water vapor is reduced.

Were you considering only water-damage to house contents other than
a/c air-movers? I'd be slower to dismiss.

john