Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.computer.workshop
Commander Kinsey[_3_] Commander Kinsey[_3_] is offline

Default Rise in pitch at the end of every sentence

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:28:21 +0100, Dave W wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:06:57 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 14/06/2021 08:25 am, Rod Speed wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

No its called a dialect.

Nope, dialects are different.

Indeed they are and this affectation is NOT a dialect.

I have a relative in Liverpool - a university student - who affects this
style (probably semi-consciously). Although away from the city these
last forty-five years, I can tell the world that the Australian rising
inflection *never* formed part of any of the various Liverpool accents.
it is entirely learned from the media over the last thirty to forty years.

Some people talk in monotones and sound a bit like a 20 year old
speech synth.

Neither of those are dialects.

Correct.

Commander Kinsey wrote

Why do some people raise their voice at the end of every sentence? It
sounds like they're asking a question. Glaswegians and Australians
are particularly bad for it. Are they unsure of everything they say
and are seeking confirmation?

I feel they are not so much asking a question, but implying "Are you
familiar with what I'm saying, because you may be old?"

It makes me think they're not sure what they just said is correct, and are waiting for you to say "uh-huh" after every phrase. Maybe they want to make sure you're paying attention.