Posted to uk.d-i-y
R D S[_2_] R D S[_2_] is offline

Default Managing a VPS?

On 14/06/2021 12:31, Theo wrote:
R D S wrote:
Is a VPS within the scope of someone who knows a little or might I find
myself out of my depth.
Do you just stick cpanel on it and as such i'd be pretty much where I am
now, or is there all sorts of background tinkering that i'm unaware of?

Cpanel is a proprietary service so you can't 'just stick it on'. Your VPS
provider might offer that as an additional service. There are frontends
that are free that look a bit like Cpanel (it's been a while since I used
one so I'm not up to date).

For a web server, to DIY you need roughly:

Thanks for all the info.
There's Debian 10 installed.
I'd oddly assumed cpanel was open source, not sure where that idea came
from.
I'm looking at Fasthosts, so security/future shouldn't be a concern.
I've a handful of relatively low traffic Opencart installations.