Posted to uk.d-i-y
R D S[_2_] R D S[_2_] is offline

Default Managing a VPS?

I pay £35 quid per month for web hosting (it's a long story) it's a
reseller package so I can have as many domains as i like but there are
resource limits (I know!! At that price!)

Plus there are security features (which I understand the need for), eg.
I fire up an old computer and there's an email account with an old,
incorrect password, if it retries numerous times our IP ends up locked
off the server. Or if you are setting up an FTP client and try a few
times with a wrong setting. I end up having to call in to get access
restored.

So i'm looking into a VPS.
I'd be paying less and have more resources and control.

Is a VPS within the scope of someone who knows a little or might I find
myself out of my depth.
Do you just stick cpanel on it and as such i'd be pretty much where I am
now, or is there all sorts of background tinkering that i'm unaware of?