Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn Manson Marilyn Manson is offline

Default Samsung Smart TV no longer defaults to HDMI input.

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 6:50:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 16:15:26 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:22:06 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman wrote:

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 9:14:53 AM UTC-5, Marilyn Manson wrote:

Tell yourself you wanted a new one anyhow.

Consumer Reports has these rated as Best Buys:

Samsung UN55RU7100 $430. 55". Rating 70
Samsung QN55Q60T $650. 55". Rating 71
Samsung UN55TU8300 $600. 55". Rating 71
Samsung QN55Q80T $1100. 55". Rating 83
Samsung QN55Q8DT $1100. 55". Rating 84
Samsung QN65Q70T $1100. 65". Rating 76
Sony XBR-65X90CH $1170. 65". Rating 74

They did mention that smart TVs track your viewing habits
and the apps you're using.
The article was updated 2/24/21

I bought this on Amazon 3 months ago. TCL 50-inch Class 4-Series 4K UHD Smart Roku LED TV -
50S435, 2021 Model. Paid $298, but it's $348 today. I thought it would provide the
streaming advantages in case I ever decided to quit paying for cable TV.
Nice TV, but every time I turn it on I have to use the TV's remote and select the cable
input. So that's 2 remotes I have to use. Maybe there's a way to have it default but I
haven't found it. It's seems slow to change channels too but that may just be the cable
box switching to a HD channel which I haven't bothered to memorize.

Just my 2 cents worth - the streaming option does not require
a "smart TV" - and, in my experience -
a smart TV is not the best option.
A laptop/desktop will do well - it can be an old re-furb -
and have you sitting at a familar interface - keyboard & mouse -
and have you selecting the privacy and upgrade options ..
John T.

Something other than a smart TV for streaming may be more of a
technical hurdle for some than for others.

Certain members of certain families have trouble taking full advantage
of certain systems even when they are set up for ease of use and are
working perfectly.

Toss in strange (and inconsistent) issues like I'm having and certain members
of certain families will just go read a book. Heck, this thing is confusing *me*
but I can at least - eventually - get it to do what I want it to do as long as I juggle
two remotes and press the right buttons in the right sequence while facing north,
holding a dehydrated bullfrog's foot and chanting Babylonian incantations.

If certain members of certain families get told that they now need to use a
laptop to watch TV, things will not go well for certain *other* members of
certain families, if you get my drift.