Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.computer.workshop
Commander Kinsey[_3_] Commander Kinsey[_3_] is offline

Default OT: Left hand down?

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 21:57:05 +0100, Graham Harrison wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 17:13:04 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse. And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

My father was a concert pianist. He was being given a lift by another
pianist. Dad knew the way and was giving verbal instructions. Every
time he said left or right he noticed a definite hesitation on the
part of the driver. Then he had an idea and, instead of "turn left" he
said "turn bass" and instead of "right", "treble". He said it worked a
treat!

Good idea!

I've never understood people not remembering which is left and right. Anyone who can write must know which hand they use? And assuming they're right handed, write, right, easy!