Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Flat roof - again.

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
Chap finally came round today. He's the builder the architect who designed
the conversion all those years ago now uses. I simply don't know any
roofers. And would rather go by a recommendation.

Interesting chap. Said he is a builder, not roofer. Who now does roofs on
his jobs himself. After getting ripped off once too often with
contractors. ;-)

And only does glass fibre. Felt is for sheds, he says. Fairy nuff - no
point in learning more than one skill if you're not going to use it.

Tim guessed right. He wants it scaffolded for safety reasons - even
although he went up to have a good look without. However, I could make use
of the scaffold to paint the window. It was done a couple of years ago.
But be silly to pay for scaffolding again in a year or so.

He reckoned about 5 days work, assuming the base is OK. The BOM from the
architect specified marine ply, so I'm hoping that's what was used, and is
still OK. There are no signs of sagging.

Found an online calculator which reckoned on about 500 quid for materials.
He's going to give me a price next week.

E.D.P.M Dave, excellent stuff, we did our garage/workshop for £800 inc
the use of a labourer mate for a day essentially its a DIY operation and
we were quoted around £4000 bloody thousand quid by three supposed
roofers and one wanted Cash and VAT on top of the cash!! Was told to
**** off in no uncertain terms!

So DIY and it doesn't leak and looks fine this lot supplied and were
very helpful all along..

https://www.rubber4roofs.co.uk/?utm_...medium=organic
--
Tony Sayer