Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
~BD~[_5_] ~BD~[_5_] is offline

Default What words or phrases annoy you?

On 13/06/2021 10:10, NY wrote:
"rbowman" wrote in message
On 06/12/2021 03:30 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
Good analogy. On second thought some do rise to mismanagement.
Dilbert bears a
mention with the pointy haired boss.

I'm reading a novel by Francis Porretto in which the protagonist asks
his boss 'How badly to I have to screw up a project to never get
promoted to management?'

I know the feeling. Theoretically I am a manager but everyone I'm
supposed to manage has been diverted to another project and I'm happy
as a clam doing actual programming.

Exactly. I would much rather *do* something (produce something) than
watch and manage other people doing it. And any job which involves
spending a large part of each day in meetings with other people would be
my idea of hell: my definition of a meeting is a means of getting more
work dumped on me after the meeting than I had before it, but then
"imprisoning" me in the meeting room while everyone else waffles on,
preventing me from actually working on that increased workload.

I'm very much a details person: I would rather get on and make
*something* (even if that something is the wrong thing) than spend all
day discussing what the right thing is to do without actually making
anything (even the wrong thing). I find it very hard to stand back and
take an overall "helicopter view", mainly because doing so bores me
rigid: I'm itching to get into the details.

In what kind of work are you engaged?