Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn Manson Marilyn Manson is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 4:58:37 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 06/12/2021 01:58 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
It basically means that the route that you are on is not going to get you
to your destination. Sure, technically, there is *always* a way to get from
one point to another, but it may not be as convenient as one might hope.

Getting from the North Rim to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon comes to
mind. It's only about 20 miles...

SWMBO did it in about 5 hours, with a layover in Page, AZ. ;-)

We chose to see the North Rim first because we hate crowds. While there,
we were chatting with one of the NPS Rangers.

"Should we visit the South Rim? We hate crowds."

"I've worked for the NPS for close to 40 years. I've always chosen the quietest, most
remote assignments because I hate crowds, so I know what you mean. That said,
you're here. You'll regret coming all the way out here and not seeing the South Rim.
It's worth the drive. Get there early, see what want and leave when you want."

So we drove to Page, got up early enough to be one of the first cars through the gate,
with a plan to stay for a few hours. We ended up being the one of the last cars out
of the parking lot. We had a great time. We were hiking the rim trail when we were told
to evacuate because of approaching thunderstorms. We took the bus down to the
Village and had a fantastic and very reasonably priced lunch in the lodge. By the
time were were done, the storms had past so we took the bus back up and continued
our hike to Hermit's Nest. Most of the crowds had left when the rains came so we
basically had the trail to ourselves.

Knowing what I know now, I see what he meant about regrets.