Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default string trimmers - auto-line-feed

On 06/12/2021 12:42 PM, Snag wrote:
On 6/12/2021 11:45 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 06/12/2021 05:54 AM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 6:14:09 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 6/11/21 11:19 AM, TimR wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 9:48:25 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, June 11, 2021 at 8:30:15 AM UTC-4, Bod wrote:
On 11/06/2021 13:23, wrote:
I just bought a new battery powered weed whacker that has
the idiotic and wasteful auto-feed feature.
After an hour or two of thinking about how to disable / bypass it -
a lightbulb came on and I did a youtube search -
- first hit ! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7I2uX8ziZ4

I haven't tried it yet but will-do later today.
The idiotic reply to this problem, from Ryobi, was to
1. don't start-stop so much when using
2. buy our other model that costs 2 X the price
Gee thanks Ryobi ...
John T.

I use a Tap and Go type Strimmer (Trimmer) which only feeds extra
line
when the line is too short to cut, just tap the machine on the grass
then it auto lengthens to the correct length.
It's also a twin feed.
Same here. You tap it until it lets out enough new line that you
can hear it
making a fuss. The fuss is the end of the line hitting the metal
edge that trims
it off at the correct length. The one I have now is a Troybilt
multi-function one.
The ends can be changed to either a string trimmer or a blade type
lawn edger.
It works great, except for the usual BS with the carb fouling and
not being able
to adjust the carb because the hippies locked the screws up.

I went rechargeable this year, bought an Ego. So far I'm happy with
it. it is bump feed and works well.

It has an interesting feature for loading, which I haven't tried
because I'm still on the first spool. But anyway, you cut a piece
several feet long and thread it through both holes until you're in
the middle of the string. Then you press a button and it spins
slowly, sucking the line in.

I gave up on string trimmers several years ago- could never get the
string to feed reliably and needed to strip and rewind it onto the
spool
several times per spool load. Tried varied diameters, shapes, brands,
tightnesses. All bad.

So how do you trim? Scissors? ;-)

Roundup. Saves a lot of time.

I sometimes wish I could , but glyphosate is a sub-lethal toxin to my
bees .

Actually, I've switched to Spectracide, which is diquat. Supposedly
that's not as nasty as glyphosphate.