Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default What words or phrases annoy you?

"Marilyn Manson" wrote in message
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 1:52:22 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Back in the day, Moron, Imbecile and Idiot had specific IQ ranges
be
classified as such...

I sort of knew that, but I wonder what they do now.

Intellectually disabled mostly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_disability

I've not heard that term. The usual euphemism is "learning
difficulties"

That's more for kids rather than adults.
which tends to refer to people who are unkindly and humorously referred
as "the hard of thinking"

That's more of an insult.

I know a number of people who work in that segment of the health care
field.

The correct term is "adults with disabilities".

There is no such animal as the correct term and disabled is just as valid.

Many of the people they work with have physical disabilities,
intellectual disabilities, and many times, both.

Yes, some of the more common causes do affect both.

God bless their souls - the health care workers, I mean. I watch what
they do day after day and witness the caring hearts and especially the
patience these people have. I am humbled when I watch them in action.

Just yesterday I attended a wedding of two such people and sat at the
table with
a bunch of their coworkers. Many of them have worked in group homes and
day-habs
for decades. Besides the daily care that they provide, they are also
trained in take-down
techniques, restraint holds, etc. Depending on the environment, some
workers always
wear clothes that they can easily slip out of, like loose fitting pullover
shirts. I'm not
talking about criminally violent individuals, I'm talking about normally
very gentle
individuals that occasionally exhibit behaviors that can be harmful to
themselves or
others. One minute an aide could be helping a client clean themselves
after using the
bathroom and the next minute they could be involved - with the same
client - in a 2
person takedown maneuver.

I thank them for their service just like I thank those that serve(d) in
the military.