Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default OT: Latering thinking puzzle "Why do more peoplre die on their bithday than any other day?"

On 12/06/2021 16:46, MB wrote:
What is the probability that a person will die on their birthday?

https://stats.stackexchange.com/ques...their-birthday

Interesting. I still stand by my inductive hypothesis that the cnut was
winding people up with a problem *no one* knows the real answer to.

Yes, I wondered about a wind-up, but wanted to check there wasn't some
factor (apart from neonatal deaths and birthday-related accidents *) that I
hadn't thought of..

The guy was a prankster and a bit unpredictable. He was a devout Catholic.
Apparently at his wedding, with all his Catholic relatives as "audience" at
the reception, he scandalised them all by playing Tom Lehrer's ****-take
"Vatican Rag", to which he and his new wife danced.

(*) For example, getting blind drunk and then thinking you can swim across
the River Ouse in York - there have been a number of tragic deaths of that
form in the last ten years.