Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Cement broken away from corner roof tiles

On 11/06/2021 18:16, John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* John Rumm wrote:
For a verge you probably want a little bit of moisture in there to get
good suction onto the tiles, but yup a fairly stiff mix will be good.
(those premixed buckets tend to have some lime and plasticizer in the
mix already)

Yup. I'd say you want a mortar as flexible as possible and not too
strong.
The ordinary mix most roofers seem to use on ridge tiles soon falls out.

Probably one of those cases where a traditional lime mortar works better.

The Marley-modern gable-end tiles of my 1976 house were bedded in the
same reddish mortar used for the external brickwork, and then before
it had set they scraped it back a few mm and worked a layer of mortar
with a black dye.
This bedding is still present and is sound. When I did some work on
the corners, I was amazed at how strong this mortar was. Very difficult
to remove from the tiles and needed to be wacked really hard with a
club hammer to break it up.