Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Sometimes this forum worries me

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 12:03:38 +0100, R D S wrote:

On 11/06/2021 16:26, T i m wrote:

Nothing wrong with an 'Oh yes, I think you mentioned that before' to
save you both time (and to show you were listening and remember from
the first time). ;-)

Yeah,
What about when you say "have I already told you..." and they say not,
but you're almost certain you have, hence they probably don't listen to you.

Or they may go though the motions of listening but can't take it in
(any more)? ;-(

Or they read something but can't seem to translate that into an action
themselves?

I had a mate read the instructions for how to set up his video / TV to
me over the phone and I repeated it back to him (sight unseen) and he
did it (after not being able to for 'hours' apparently)?

And my missus often tells me things that i've told her.

And I used to mentioned that I have told mine (everyday, non
technical) things previously but that doesn't help her because she
(obviously) can't remember me so doing. ;-(

She just read out a text that she had been sent but whilst he narrated
the words, the detail of the meaning didn't seem to have been
acknowledged by her. ;-(

We (well I) have been watering in a couple of newly planted memorial
trees on behalf of a neighbours family because we can go past there
(when walking for ourselves and with the dog) and they all live miles
away.

The text read something along the lines of 'I've just put 20l of water
around the trees' (letting us know he's done it this time, it would
have been her birthday or summat).

I said 'Ah, he's not applied it though the watering tubes then ...'
and the content of that statement seemed lost, given she's stood there
and watched me empty several watering cans worth of water down the
watering tubes. She even repeated what bits of it he had texted her
and she had taken in ... 'watered trees'.

So yes, apart from not listening, people can listen (even proactively)
but not actually hear / understand / remember.

Trying to relay the instruction 'Turn the knob up' is only any value
if someone knows the difference between a knob, button and switch,
even when there is only one 'knob' on there and what way 'up' might be
(apparently). ;-)

Cheers, T i m