Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Virgin media pop3 servers

This is a long shot but does any virgin media subscriber use pop3 servers on
their VM emails?
I like it because being blind, its easy to set up message filtering to
folders and put in custom blocks. All has been well until yesterday, Friday,
morning when after 6am ish, it stopped accepting the password. Now imap
using exactly the same password works, so my guess is that either their
servers are broken, or they have inadvertently blocked a port for logging in
at their end.
Sadly talking to the people you get through to on first line, who now seem
to be in the UK, I have a struggle to explain email actually exists outside
of webmail which is mostly a pain to use for us blind folk. At least with
pop3 you can auto sort the mail, it has the same common interface whether
you are on gmail blogs mail or vms mail so no new shortcut keys to find,
remember we can't see the whole screen and thus the mouse is useless.

So if you do have pop 3 is it busted?
I cannot see any other reason why imap should work but pop3 does not, Both
work in the same email client on google so the program is working fine and
two other machines one running xp have exactly the same issue, one of them
outside the virgin network which should work as its been doing so for years.
I don't believe in such a mega coincidence that all software and several
machines and connections are at fault as is being implied by the virgin call
people who did try to put me onto second line but I sat for 45 minutes with
no reply listening to inane pop music, all three tracks and it did my head
in.

So I'm not a dumb old blindy, as I feel they think, I've been doing this
stuff for years, with few issues. Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!